We are going to get down and dirty real quick folks. Midterm season is around the corner and it is my biggest fear that we are not paying attention to the signs. I know it is easy to get lost in the magic at the University of Iowa. We are experiencing some beautiful weather, the Football team is 2-0, and overall it’s great to be alive. That being said, midterms are a stressful time for most students. Normally, these exams are worth a good chunk of your overall grade, and because the registrar does not coordinate midterms, many of us will have a week where most of our exams overlap. Below I will list a few tips that will most definitely help you conquer your exams in a similar way that we conquered the Cyclones this past weekend.
- Start reviewing your material from week 1. Even if it’s just skimming notes, and your textbook for a few minutes a night. Re-familiarizing yourself with the content will help a ton.
- Starting tonight, make sure to get 7-9 hours of sleep every night. Students that get on average 7-9 hours of sleep every night tend to do much better on exams than students who under, or oversleep.
- If you have questions, ask. Your professors and Teaching Assistants want to help you! It’s their job.
- If you have your phone out and Facebook is open… you’re not studying. I know it’s easy to get distracted (I am easily distracted) but turn your phone off, close the laptop, and review your notes for an hour. Then take a break for an hour. No need to cram for studying because you’re starting a couple weeks ahead of time!
- Use your resources on campus. We have so many options for free tutoring that it would be silly not to study at those designated tutoring places. Have math problems? Use the Mathematics Tutorial Lab. Many of our on-campus resources can be found on the page labeled “Resources” above.
To summarize, start reviewing notes now, get a good night sleep every night, ask questions, actually study, use the free resources available to you.
That’s all I have for you now folks, happy midterms, and go Hawks!
Secondary Image: http://es.memegenerator.net/instance/64804391