In the spirit of Earth Day, this weeks student organization of the week is University Gardeners. Check out our conversation below and check them out before schools over!
- What is the name of your organization? Do you go by any nicknames or abbreviations?
We are the University of Iowa Gardeners, often shortened to UI Gardeners or just the Gardeners.
- What is the purpose/mission of your organization?
Our stated mission is fivefold:
- Create mentoring opportunities for students who want to learn practical farming and gardening skills.
- Grow sustainable produce for the University of Iowa Food Services and Iowa City community.
- Provide and demonstrate sustainable food choices and lifestyle practices to all University of Iowa students.
- Promote interdisciplinary cooperation between students, campus, and community organizations.
- Serve as a resource for education and research for students, faculty, and staff of the University of Iowa.
- What days/times does your organization typically meet? Do you have any upcoming/recurring events you would like to be made known?
We meet every Monday at 8:00 PM at the Sustainability Office in the Old Capitol Mall. When in season, we also meet Fridays and Sundays at the Garden. This Sunday we will be having out open house from 12:30 PM to 3:30 PM at the Garden. The Garden is located on the west side of campus, right by the Recreation Fields South bus stop, reachable by Hawkeye Interdorm.
- Why did you personally get involved with this organization? What makes you passionate about this organization? (If at all possible, please have ~3 members answer one of these questions!)
My (CJ Sykes) personal involvement began in the Fall semester of this year; I saw it in one of those mass emails and thought it would be cool. And I turned out to be wonderfully correct. This place is filled with probably the greatest people I’ve ever met. There is no shortage of passion, of hard work, of dedication to the Garden and to the principles we exist upon. I bloody love this organization.
- What social media does your organization utilize? (links, if possible)
- If a student is interested in joining this organization, how should they go about it/who should they contact?
All are welcome to our Monday meetings, as well as the trips to the Garden. The Garden is open to the general public and people are more than welcome to visit on their own time. As far as contact goes, Facebook and email are the best bets. There is no need to worry about knowing anything about gardening to join.
- Is there anything else you would like to share?
If nothing else, this is a good place to get free food. And who doesn’t like free food? On a more serious note, I would like to give a shout out to the University Food Pantry, with whom we do plenty of collaboration with. They do so much to help food security for everybody on campus, and anybody who has heard of the Gardeners ought to have also heard of the Food Pantry.